3-19-14 ***UPDATE 2!***
Courts denied request for stay!
Opinion can be read in its entirety here
The last appeal in this case was filed 4/26/12 arguing that:
1) Race based jury selection is unconstitutional and a potential juror at his trial was excluded improperly because he was black.
2) Jasper claims that he had insufficient legal help at his trial .
3) Texas death penalty is unconstitutional.
The court then rejected all the arguments.
His execution is scheduled for today and you can listen to Execution Watch live here on the Execution Watch home page today from 6pm-7pm CT.
– November 29, 1998- Ray Jasper and two other co-defendants caused the death of David Alejandro during an attempted robbery.
– The victim was a business partner and owner of a recording studio in San Antonio, Texas.
– Ray Jasper walked up to the victim from behind, grabbed his hair and slit his throat and then stabbed repeatedly to death. The victim was then covered in a black sheet.
– The defendants then loaded equipment from the studio into waiting vehicles and made several trips two and from the site.
– After Jasper was apprehended, he later confessed to planning the crime. His confession describes events in detail that were later corroborated and matched up with the physical evidence discovered by investigators.
– He was indicted for robbery related capital murder where he was found guilty.
– February 4, 2000, Jasper was sentenced to death.
– Most recent Habeas appeal was denied on 3/10/14 and can be read here.
On 3/4/14 Ray Jasper sent a letter to Gawker which has caused a lot of backlash to Gawker. It can be read in it’s entirety here.
“Family prepares for execution of son’s killer”- Can be read here, as you have to be a member of the original newspaper site to read it there.
“Brother of Ray Jasper’s Victim Shares his Story”– here.
As always, this post will be updated with any last minute stay’s or appeals filed.